On my mission to Eat Well and Play More, I’ve added in a new routine to my mornings:
A good stiff drink.
Yes. But it is not what you are thinking, silly.
As they say, it is 5:00 somewhere, but I’m talking about my morning lemon water magic potion. So, it is actually pretty close to 5 o’clock in the A.M. when the puppy, Good Lucky Charlie, wakes me up so that I can let him outside to take care of his needs. Then I can come back inside and start to take care of mine.
Here’s the not-so-secret recipe:
1. Water. I like to heat mine up in the kettle, so I feel like I’m getting ready to enjoy some morning tea.
2. Add two tablespoons of Bragg’s Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar With the Mother. (Woah. I know. So NOT your morning tea, right?) I don’t know what exactly the Mother is by the way, but it makes it sound so serious! No messing around here!
3. Stir in 1 tablespoon of raw local honey. (Not the kind in the plastic bear. Come on now. Find the good stuff from a local somebody. Especially if you have seasonal allergies-so good for you to help reduce symptoms!)
4. Cut a lemon in half and squeeze all of the juice into your favorite cup or mug.
This isn’t a sponsored post for Pampered Chef, although I wouldn’t say no if they came a callin’,…but I highly recommend the Pampered Chef Citrus press for this. A friend of mine gave me one for Christmas last year and I love it! I can get every drop of juice out of any lemon. And catch the seeds before they land in my cup, too! If you are interested in getting one, send me a message and I’ll connect you with my friend who sells these.
5. Stir. And drink up the magic.
Ok. I won’t tell you that it actually tastes good. But I will tell you that it is actually not that bad, either. The vinegar smell, as you raise the glass to your lips, is a bit off-putting and slightly alarming at first, but you get used to it. The honey and lemon make up for it and feel so good on the throat.
And the benefits outweigh the bitterness.
It is like an alarm clock for your tummy. A little wake up call for your digestive system. It puts your gut on notice, signaling the start to another day.
It brings balance to your pH levels and lets your liver know that it is time. Time to sing Else’s part of Frozen and “Let it go!” Let go of the toxins that it has been collecting and begin again. (If you are now singing, “Let it go!” … You are welcome.”
It also is chock full of great live enzymes and adds some good potassium to your body. Something we all need to keep those muscles (read: heart!) doing their jobs everyday.
It is also a great addition to any detox, moving the garbage trucks of candida and leftover toxins along your lymphatic highway … right out of town. How’s that for some morning imagery?!
Be sure to use your favorite tea cup or coffee mug. Something pretty to get your day started. Before you get busy with all of the MommyVerbs of the showering and the dressing and the make upping and the combing and the brushing and the packing and the cooking and the preparing and the driving…
Do a little something for yourself first. Have a drink.
Let’s all, Go. Do that.
(To learn more about a fabulous Spring Cleaning Eating program, click here!)